An important part of your healthcare team—you
Prior to your procedure, be sure to discuss any concerns about your surgery with your physician. Your physician can help you understand the risks and benefits involved with your particular procedure.
A great deal of information will be required when preparing for your procedure. Volunteering the most accurate and complete information possible will assist your caregivers in providing safe care.
Perhaps the most important information you will share is your personal health information:
- Your medical history, including all other surgeries
- Allergies to medicines, foods, and latex
- General health information
- Recent illness including fever, cold, or rash
- Current prescriptions and over-the-counter medications, herbals, and vitamins
- The use of tobacco, alcohol, or other drugs
- Any chronic medical problems including diabetes or high blood pressure
Remember, it is very important that YOU take an active role in your healthcare.